Sunday, February 5, 2012

FTL of the Mind.


Tonight I have been watching the Supplement disc (Disc 2) for the David Fincher film 'The Social Network'. Not only is this one of my favorite films, I will now have to say that this may be my favorite special features disc as well.

Let me first say now that I love David Fincher films. The only David Fincher film I don't currently own is 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'. David Fincher films make my mind rocket into intellectual wonderment. 

Now, secondly, I will restate that 'The Social Network' is one of my favorite films ever. It makes me feel smart. It make me want to write, to think, to imagine. It makes me want to be better. Do things, be something. Live, think, breathe, move. A few things do this for me at the degree I'm talking about, but this was one of the first times (seeing the movie for the first time, I mean) that I noticed it so bluntly. 

Part of the reason this movie does that is because it starts in a spot where the viewer is meant to try to keep up, causing the viewer to need to interact in a sense, in order to understand what they were just thrown into. A lot of films lately don't do this. A lot of films these days tend to simply let the viewer be lazy and sit back and drool on their tasty buttered popcorn and bladder-swelling cup of soda and watch the pretty lights and colors and jump-scares and be dazzled without any need to use a micron of fleshy grey matter. I will even admit I enjoy these kinds of films, though I also have to admit that I enjoy MOST films. Hence the reason I don't get into debates/discussions about movies very often and people have begun to use the colloquialism that I 'like everything'. This is mostly true.

But my very favorite types of films are the ones that make me have to keep up, make me think, to try and understand. That subtly push my mind to the limits of its web of creative inspiration and imaginative coalescence. 'The King's Speech' ranks in that corner, as do the movies 'Brick' and 'All The President's Men'. The TV show (which was canceled) 'Free Agents' with Hank Azaria ranked there as well. I will even add books, such as 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' by Stieg Larsson and 'The Magician/The Magician King' by Lev Grossman in that area.


More people need to think these days. We don't want to become the brainless and almost catatonic slugs that the humans became in the film 'Wall-E'. No indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment